Wednesday, February 2, 2011

two loves

February has me thinking about things I love. Books, music, and the people I share those things with.

I LOVE to read! It's something I used as an escape from my problems as a young girl, and it's something I use now to give me a break from the constant juggling act that motherhood and step-motherhood can be.

I LOVE to sing! Singing is magical for me. I use it to calm my babies to sleep. In the past, I've let music be my therapist and help me through some of life's biggest struggles. It's been a way that I've communicated to God, and a way that I've thanked Him.

I remember in 5th grade, my friends (who also loved reading and music as much as I did) and I LOVED Disney's Beauty and the Beast. We watched it all the time. We sang the songs at recess. We even put together our own little version of the songs and made our own "music videos". They were never actually recorded, but we pretended we were making a video at recess. This particular song was my favorite. Probably because we all thought we were just like Belle. I think she was our hero in a way.

I secretly wish that I could live in a musical.
I've always wanted to have my own theme song play whenever I enter a room.
Am I the only one?
Are there other people out there that wish for those things?

When I was a kid and actually had spare time, I would lose myself in multiple books a day. I'd read a book in an hour, and then pick up another one and finish it too. In college, I would start a book, get so into it, and read straight through to the next morning until I finished that book. During winter break one year, I went to my parents house and stayed in my room for about a week reading the Harry Potter books.

If there is one thing I hate about reading, it's having to put a book down.

Music makes life worth living if you ask me. There is something so universal about music that connects us all. No matter what our situation, gender, race, or ecomonic status; music is one thing that we all understand. My elementary school music teacher has forever impacted my life. She was the first person that truly helped me experience music. My Uncle Curt is the other most influential musician in my life. Mrs. Otter taught me the rules about music. Uncle Curt taught me how to improvise and feel music. Both are equally important.

Mrs. Otter was the reason I majored in vocal music education in college.

Lately, I find myself whistleing while I work. No seriously, I walk down the halls at work and whistle because I think people would probably laugh at me if I started singing. Why am I so insecure about that?! Whistleing has always been my back-up to singing:) When I was in 5th grade, I started playing volleyball. Through my years of playing volleyball, I sang at practice. All. the. time. My coaches would tell me to stop every day, but I just couldn't. There was a song in me and it needed to get out.

I'm starting to wonder why there is a song in me again lately. I haven't experienced this "need" to sing/whistle for YEARS! I'm going to have to think about this one...

Since I've had my own children, I haven't done a whole lot of reading or singing. As the New Year came and I was thinking about my resolutions, I decided I need to read more. So I made it my goal to read one book a month. I won't kid myself into thinking that a book club would be a good idea...because quite frankly, I don't have time.

I'm happy to report that last night (only one day into Feb) I finished my January book! I read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. That book was amazing. It took me a few chapters to get into it, but when I finally figured out how the story was structured, it all clicked and I didn't want to put it down.

Maya reminds me a lot of myself when it comes to music and reading. She always has her nose in a book and a song on her tongue. I love that about her, and hope that I am encouraging her in those areas. In fact, books and music were some of the earliest connections that Maya and I had. We've read some of the same books recently, and as she is getting older and more mature I'm hoping that we will have many more books to share with each other. Someday I hope we can sing more together, but I think for now I'm just a bit too insecure about my voice. I'm totally out of practice...plus I need to figure out why I have a song in my heart again...don't get me wrong, I LOVE that...but it's something I haven't experienced for a while...I'll keep you guys posted if I figure it out!

4 comments:

Uniquely Normal Mom said...

I'm not much of a reader of books, but I love music! Your descriptions of what music is and waht music does is spot on! In fact, I'm going to go listen to some music right now, burn incense and make yogurt. :-) Thanks for the inspiration!

Lynnae said...

Thanks Gen! Good luck on the yogurt making...I'm sure my hubby will want your recipe if it turns out:) He makes everything homemade and I am so glad he does! Can't wait to see you sometime in the near future!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm reading a GREAT book right now by one of my favorite authors, Philip Yancey. It's called "Reaching for the Invisible God". It's a thinker, not a quick novel, but it's been VERY timely for me right now. - Bekah

Shirley said...

If there's a song in your heart, let it out!