Monday, December 13, 2010

My Story - Part 5

Over the weekend, I decided that I would be using Maya's Step-Dad's first name on here...Eric. So take note of that as you continue to read. 

I'll continue my story...

As you can imagine, having additional court hearings going on didn't help anyone. What was reported to the police was grossly exaggerated, but the case must go on, so to speak...

My plan was to take the case against me to trial, but in the end I decided to take a lower charge for Disorderly Conduct. The truth is, I didn't want to make the custody case worse by participating in another trial that placed Maya's Mom and Eric against me. Things were bad enough the way it is.

Today I want to wrap up some things:

First of all, I think it has been abundantly clear how much of a terrible time this was for myself and all the others who were fighting so hard for Maya.

Secondly, it is very painful to rehash so many of these events.

Lastly,  I have moved on with my life and bringing things up again is a painful experience. I'm pretty sure the other people in my story have also moved on.

Of course, I can't leave my story on such a cliffhanger...so I'll sum it up with this.

In September 2008, Eric was arrested for his 5th DUI in ten years. This happened shortly after day one of the custody trial. At Day two of custody trial, we were all very excited to hear that Maya's Mom decided it was time to continue her life without Eric. In November 2008, Dave and Maya's Mom were awarded equal time with Maya. The first year with 50/50 parenting time was an adjustment for everyone.

I began to see positive changes in Maya as time went on. Her life became stable, and we all fell into a nice rhythm. About a year ago was when I realized that Dave and Maya's Mom were actually able to communicate. They could make decisions without arguing.

Eric (and and his poisionous influence) was (and still is) no longer a part of Maya's life! 

Earlier this year, Maya's Mom and I began communicating again. We have made a lot of progress in our relationship. I like to say we're friends, but it's still complicated.

Thanks for listening to my story!

Now...on to the good stuff...because there are lots of good things that I want to talk about. You've seen where I've come from, and now I'm happy to start sharing the good things in my life as a Step-Mom!

Happy Monday everyone!

5 comments:

Shirley said...

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to hearing more. I also like your saying on the top "Be kind..."

RML said...

Thanks for taking your time, and digging up bones to let us know the background. Especially when you didn't have to!
I've found some comfort in what you've shared, and I hope I can continue to learn from your experiences!

Uniquely Normal Mom said...

It's gotta be tough to bring this stuff back...thanks for sharing. It's good to understand. I'm exciting to hear more! :-)

Adam B. said...

Lynnae - I enjoyed reading your story and think it's cool you've found an outlet. Technically, I suppose I'm a step-dad, although since my wife's kids were already older when we met, we don't use that title nor have that kind of relationship. However, I can relate to some of what you've felt. Here's to continuing on the journey!!

Lynnae said...

Thank you for all the great feedback! No, it wasn't easy going through this all again, but it is great being at a place in my life that I'm comfortable sharing these experiences.

Adam - It would be interesting to know more from the perspective of a Step-Dad. Please let me know if there are any topics you'd like me to research and post about!

Happy Reading! I've got a new post ready to go for tomorrow:)