Thursday, September 1, 2011

summer

I feel like summer just started, but here we are in September already! Family vacation is over and school is just around the corner. Maya moved into her locker, picked up her class schedule, and her clothes for the first day of school are laid out and ready to go.

The basic lack of schedule all summer has been really great. It allowed for us to just be...to play and read as we pleased. While it is really important for us to have these free times, what I really crave is schedule and routine. David's work schedule is different (and more rigid) during the school year. Maya is held to a tight schedule with school, homework, and her first season of tennis. Michael is starting preschool this year and will have his first real taste of a schedule. MacKean is just along for the ride and I feel like a conductor of life during this summer/school year transition.

Our family meeting is planned with an agenda and calendars prepared.
My Google Calendar is full of recurring events for each family member.
Sunday School will be starting soon.
The new 2011-12 chore charts are ready for the big kids.
Meal planning for the fall is in full swing.
I've started putting daily menus on our kitchen chalkboard.

Even with all this transition into schedules and routine, I do have one last summer "event". I'm going to Space Camp with my big sister...We leave on Saturday! I'm a bit giddy and a bit nervous. Mostly, I just can't wait. But first, I have a mountain of laundry that needs to be attended to...and when I get back, BAM! School will be in it's second week and fall will be right around the corner.

Are you ready?


No comments: